company - education - coffee

Friday, November 25, 2011

A new roaster modification

For several months, we have been discussing and planning a roaster modification that was a little tricky to predict.  After a lot of discussions and then a few tests, we have moved into the production phase of testing.  The modification was a simple addition of a baffle to direct convection of hot air and thereby increase efficiency on the outside of the roasting drum.  Size, placement, and material were something we spent a lot for time on beforehand.  We currently have them installed on both roasters.

Initial results have been noticeable increases in aromas and clarity.  All roasts from the 21st on have this modification and you will notice a positive difference in your favorite coffees.  Special thanks to Luminarecoffee's Andrew Coates for help in the design and installation.